Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Great Small Business Adventure

Almost two years ago I was approached by Daphne Reznick from Vision Care Associates about joining the Capital Area Local First and I wasn't sure we needed to. How would our customers hire a non local installer? I mean, you can't set tile from across the country. You have to physically be in someone's home or business to provide that service. Daphne reminded me about Home Depot, Lowe's and Menards and the installation services they offer. Oh crap.

Ever since, driving past that big orange sign has felt a little different. Don't get me wrong. Although, I am a localvore I know that the big box stores support local by hiring a local work force. So, Home Depot, I have no hard feelings. I even brought my kids to your free pot-flowers-for-Mother's-Day event. I have also been known to take a DIY course or two. However, I now see clearly, another competitor.

When Paul and I changed our name to Heritage Flooring in 2003, we were very isolated. I never attended networking events and we depended on word of mouth for our new business. I eventually joined a local Business Networking Intl. chapter and the world broke open. I feel the same way about our Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn adventures. I can now see before me hundreds of businesses in our area that I didn't know existed a month ago.

We did join the Capital Area Local First. Joining the group made us evaluate our purchasing power. We have our copies made at Gladstone Printing instead of Office Max. We go out of our way to support local eateries like Pablo's in Old Town, my personal favorite, although it's not really a sacrifice. We talk to our children about why we stopped at Cravings Popcorn for our afterschool snack.


"Because they are like us guys. They own a business in Lansing and that's how they make their living. If people didn't choose us we couldn't support ourselves."


And we love hearing our oldest son talk about how he will start his own lawn and snow company as soon as he is bi
g enough. I am already looking at adult fliers as local competition.
*shrugs* It's the Mama bear in me.

I have a new idea. Every week I am going to meet with a local business owner and talk about what makes their business so awesome. I want to know how long they have been in operation, what services they provide and why they continue to work in this economy. After we meet, chat and have coffee I will post my findings on this blog under a buy local tag. This is an adventure I should have started years ago and I hope you will check back weekly! It should be a blast.

Thanks Daphne for opening my eyes. Buy Local!

P.S. I found this event on Facebook. On March 20th, we make a commitment to purchase from locally owned companies. Will you join us?





No comments:

Post a Comment